Family Research – English, Scottish and Irish Genealogy

7/10/2004

Newquay

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]
The parish and town of Newquay is a thriving tourist resort on the north coast of Cornwall.

This one-time fishing village, was originally called Towan Blystra and unknown apart from its pilchard catch. The shoals of fish were sighted by the huer perched in the Huer’s Hut on the headland – giving rise to the expression “hue and cry’ as he shouted to the villagers to direct them to the pilchards off the coastline. The quay here was first recorded in 1439. This pilchard industry has now gone, and the town is now famed for its large beaches and surfing. The international surfing championships are held here on Fistral Beach from time to time.

The cliffs on this part of the coast are lofty and interesting. The town has a railway station and the nearby RAF St Mawgan military air base also doubles as Newquay airport. During the summer months the town is very busy with visitors from all over the UK and many from Europe and the rest of the world.

The ecclesiastical parish of Newquay was created 1882 from part of St Columb Minor parish. In 1960 Newquay formally subsumed St Columb Minor civil parish, which has become a suburb of Newquay.

For more information go to the link on the rhs

Did you like this? Share it:
Some Text