Family Research – English, Scottish and Irish Genealogy

3/9/2004

Remembering The Great War

Lying below low wooded hills south of Hereford, Much Dewchurch has been a Christian parish since Roman times. Its name being a corruption of an earlier version – Llandewi (Church of St. David).

The village is situated on the Ross to Hay-on-Wye road (B4348) about six miles south-west of Hereford. Its church being mostly Norman and comprising nave and chancel. Enter St. David’s by its timber south porch. Fourteenth century and for many years welcoming members of the Symonds family. In 1914 Captain Thomas Raymond Symonds being Lord of the Manor and resident at The Mynde – a Tudor house just south-west of the village.

Among many monuments to the family, we see in the church a small white-marble tablet set into a recess on the south side. This mentioning Lieutenant Thomas Edward Raymond Symonds – son of Captain Symonds and an officer of the Grenadier Guards who fought with the 1st Battalion during the First World War. But he was not killed. The memorial being erected by him as a commemoration to his servant – Private Owen Edward Slater.

For more information go to-http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/Westlake22.htm

Did you like this? Share it:
Some Text