Family Research – English, Scottish and Irish Genealogy

14/6/2004

A day in the Past

Some photographs of what life was like in Scotland and England in the past which is now starting to disappear.


The Free Church by John Philip 19th century


A savage lampoon of public religion by James Howe (178o-1836)


School girls by James Cowie 1935


Young Women who gutted and packed fish on Lewis c1920


Climbing the greasy pole at South Queensferry


The Aberdeen-Inverness stagecoach which existed between 1811-1850’s before the coming of the railway


Fishermen with their tackle outside a cottage at Elie, Fife 1907


Baiting Lines at Stonehaven in 1880


children late 19th or early 20th century


Dressmakers employed by Mr Veitch of Peebles 1898


The motor trawler Iona on the island of Lewis late 60’s early 70’s. The boat was taling gannet huntersto the island of Sula Sgeir.


Collecting seaweed to be used as fertiliser for South Loan Farm. Pittenweem about 1920


Newhaven Fishwives late 19th century


Tam o’Shanter Ayr. There is a historical link between the Inn and Burn’s Poem


High St Lanark. Where William Wallace according to Blind Harry Killed the English Sheriff Hazelrig in revenge for the murder of his wife.


A highland hut at Lochaber


A Close of the High Street Edinburgh 1850


Dunblane Cathedral


Tower House of the Castle of the Bishop of Moray at Spynie


Twelve year old prisoners 1873


Example of a Adam and Eve Stone


St Cuthberts Edinburgh c1880


Edinburgh Castle from the Cowgate, Edinburgh 1856


The result of industralisation for many a blighted landscape


Father Time


The Canongate, Edinburgh c1870


Candlemakers Close, Leith, Edinburgh 1950’s


Coburg Street Churchyard Leith 1850

The Vaus flatstone South Leith Church


Barefoot Children in Tolbooth Wynd Leith c1900


Henry Robb’s Shipwrights Shop at Albert Road about 1921


Workers at Fisher Howard and Sons, Easter Road, Cork merchants and importers 1905


Miss Paterson Lady Superintendent Leith Hospital 1891


The “Doctors Room” Leith Hospital 1906


Operating Theatre in 1910 Leith Hospital


A group of Nurses Leith Hospital 1896


Glencoe


A Piece of Charles Edward Stewarts Tartan, insert Major David Tulloch and the cooking pot from Grants of Genmoriston


The Medicine Chest of Charles Edward Stewart held by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh


Rare Scottish Snaphaunce Long gun


Pair of Brass pistols


Silver mounted Targe


The modern Weaver


Edinburgh Castle 1780 by Alexander Nasmyth showing the Nor Loch


The Mitchell Monument South Leith Parish Church


The Spence Monument South Leith Parish Church


The above picures are of the Stanley Mills-An early factory village seven miles from Perth


The above are pictures of the Carron Iron Foundary at Falkirk


Glasgow Fair 1825


Dunblane 1880

Slezer’s view of Dunblane Cathedral 1692


The Market Place, St Albans, Early 19th centiury


St Clements Churchyard Cornwell. A traditional Tombstone


Box Pews in Holy Trinity Church, York

source-Scottish Memories, National Museums of Scotland, Historic Scotland, South Leith Church, A Beacon in our Town, Christine Hoy, The National Trust

Did you like this? Share it:
Some Text